I never use this term: Form follows function
– Dieter Rams
Dieter Rams is an industrial designer whose works in closely associated Braun. Rams explains his designs though one term “Less, but better“. While studying at TAFE I had learnt if you could explain your ideas and design philosophy through one sentence, it is a mark of a truly great designer.
Perhaps it is time to break out of the mediocrity shell.
Dieter Rams explains his design philosophy through 10 simple design principals:
- Good design is innovative
- Good design makes a product useful
- Good design is aesthetic
- Good design makes a product understandable
- Good design is unobtrusive
- Good design is honest
- Good design is long-lasting
- Good design is thorough down to the last detail
- Good design is environmentally friendly
- Good design is as little design as possible
More on Dieter Rams: